Biscotti in an Hour

on Thursday, May 14, 2009

I recently spent a day experimenting in my kitchen, in hopes of retaining my noble title of "The Kitchen Diva."
Here's how it went down: Biscotti -- the first batch was nasty (too little flavor, too long in the oven). The second batch hit the jackpot -- and much easier to make than most people would have you think.


Biscotti in an Hour
     2 eggs whipped by hand to a froth
     2/3 c sugar *
     1/2 c whole wheat flour
     1 c white bread flour
     1 cup of chopped nuts **
     1/2 c dried mulberries ***

1. Pour batter onto parchment-covered baking sheet.
2. Butter your fingers and shape batter into two long logs (4" x 12"). If kept under 1/2" thick, the biscotti will be easy to cut when they cool.
3. Bake 315 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
4. Remove and allow to cool 10 minutes.
5. Cut into biscuit-sized pieces and return to oven for another 10 minutes.

Tips:
* I added 1/2 cup of honey powder, because I was afraid they would be bland like the first batch
** I roasted pecans and almonds in the oven for 10 min to bring out the flavor before adding them to the batter.
*** I've wondered for months what to do with these dried, flavorless nuggets and they proved to be the perfect chewy morsel for biscotti.

0 comments:

Post a Comment