Grandma Kelli's Stuffed Squash Blossoms

on Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The other day Bobby Flay's Throwdown was 100% zucchini, which caught my attention. When the challenger stuffed the blossoms, I entered a new dimension of food consciousness. Not only do I love cooking with zucchini, but my garden is rife with squash plants. So one night last week, when I didn't feel like eating a meal, I waddled out to the garden and plucked some zucchini blossoms. And this, readers, is what I came up with. Mmm Mmm good.

Total Prep Time: 15 min
Serves 6

1. Pick 15-18 blossoms from your garden. Swish in warm salt water to zap any garden "visitors." Lay the blossoms on a paper towel.
2. Turn on your oil to heat up while you prep.
3. Mix up 1 C. pancake batter (not too thick) while you soften 8 oz cream cheese in microwave for 30 seconds.
4. Finely chop a fresh basil leaf and 1/3 c. black olives. Add to the cream cheese mixture.
5. Stuff the blossoms with the mixture.
6. Dip each blossom in batter then into the hot oil. It takes less than a minute for each blossom to fully cook.
7. Remove from oil and place blossoms on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
8. Serve these little gems on your most treasured serving plate with bite-sized veggies from the garden. I use cherry tomatoes for color.


While these are not low in fat, carb, or calories, they taste amazing without any salt or pepper added. The Basil is requisite, however, for the right balance of flavors. Limit yourself to two and it's a perfectly healthy appetizer!

p.s. I bought a Pampered Chef decorating gun about 5 years ago and I had never opened the box, until it came to stuffing squash blossoms. I recommend using it or a pastry bag.

0 comments:

Post a Comment