Julia & Julie (in proper order, please!)

on Monday, August 31, 2009

The movie was everything I hoped it would be. Nora Ephron used a French braid and tied together two stories of survival. Of course, everyone loves the Julia Child story, with her whimsical and adventurous spirit as portrayed by Meryl Streep. She captured the essence of the reknowned chef enchantingly. Honestly, I just marvel at the depth of feeling Meryl plumbs for such roles. She is EVERYTHING in this role that she was not in Devil Wears Prada.

Julie's story isn't for everyone, but I liked her. From the start I felt her pain at dealing with bereavement and loss all day, every day. I found myself pulling for her to succeed against the odds. (Could I use a few more cliches?) The Smithsonian scene at the end surprised me and left a lump in my throuat. We need more heroes. (gulp)

0 comments:

Post a Comment